Monday, February 06, 2006

Winterlicious 2006.1FLOW Restaurant and Lounge

FLOW Restaurant and Lounge

menu

Friday night is the perfect night to begin my gourmet adventures. And so it began, fresh from wandering around Williams-Sonoma for an hour, I walked into the uber-luxe FLOW in Yorkville where I was greeted by a Charlize Theron look-a-like. Ever notice that all hostesses at the trendiest restaurants are hot women? "Charlize" ushered me to our table which turned out to be the private dining room! Wow, at first I thought there was some kind of mix up because the table was already set up for eight and my reservation was only for five. As luck would have it, the room was definitely ours.

I had been curious about FLOW ever since I saw the show "Opening Soon" on the Food Network about FLOW's renovation. Gosh, those guys spent a fortune turning that place from market casual Movenpick to slick and modern space that it is now. Glass, water, natural-looking stone all combined to make for a chic and modern space.

Service - "J" our waiter was pleasant and efficient. His big brother apparently also works at Flow and he popped in to bring the food in later. My only criticism, and it's a small one, is that J seemed to forget about us when it came time for dessert. We didn't notice initially since we were all busy chatting away.

Food - I ordered the calamari as an appetizer. It was OK but somewhat overdone. I tried some of the papperdale that my friend ordered and that was quite good. Regretfully, I should have had that instead. For some odd reason, all of us ordered the strip loin as the main. It was done to medium rare perfection and was quite good swimming in that yummy jus and sitting atop the requisite creamy smashed potatoes and a few bits of grilled asparagus. For dessert: I ordered the Apple, Almond and Creme Fraiche which I quite enjoyed but others found it too heavy and dry.

Wine - No one was impressed with the first of the two bottles that we had. It was Australian and came with a screw cap. Even though that is the way of the new world wines and I was willing to keep an open mind, the wine within wasn't very good. We finished the bottle anyway and then ordered a different Cabernet. It was much better. I should have made note of it but alas I didnt.

Overall, I would give Flow the following rating:

Ambience - ****

Service - ****

Food - ***1/2

Overall - ***1/2

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

uhh!!. they need to bring movenpick's back:( hahaha i miss it dearly. i'm going to annona on fri but the thing is winterlicious is over by then. sucks!! the descriptions sound yum though at flow. hmm :p r u going to any more?? xo. -willariah-

10:02 p.m.  
Blogger SpiderLoves said...

LOL have you ever seen a waiter/waitress try to cut the wax off a screw top? i've almost done it but i swear there was this one time i saw this waitress try to cut the thing forever wondering why the wax wouldn't come off. and then she realized it was a screw top.

Annona is supposed to be excellent my friend is a cook in the kitchen there. and they apparently have osso bucco on the menu for winterlicious! YUM!

2:05 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home